Case Study – Linx Printing Technologies (crimping)
As part of a larger filling and sealing project Linx Printing Technologies asked Universal Filling Machine Company to provide a solution for sealing septums onto a new design of ink and solvent cartridge. The critical requirements were:
- ATEX certified for use in a potentially explosive atmosphere (Zone 1)
- Septum must be sealed to be 100% leak-proof
- Crimp must be formed perfectly to allow the cartridge to be installed and removed easily
Products to fill:
- Aluminium Septums
- Plastic Ink Cartridges
Universal supplied Linx with a Coven AP02 semi-automatic crimping machine to carry out the initial crimping trials. Some redesign was required on the neck of the plastic cartridge and to the length of the septum in order to achieve a perfect seal. Universal manufactured bespoke plastic pucks to orientate the cartridge correctly during the crimping process, which simplified the changeover from one cartridge size to another.
Following the successful trials on the semi-automatic machine, Linx Printing Technologies placed an order with Universal for a fully automatic filling and crimping solution which included:
- Rotary infeed table – special design to fit the small space & ATEX motor
- Posimatic EV automatic filling machine was designed with quick release interchangeable filling heads to allow rapid changeovers of the various liquids – this new design eliminated the need for cleaning as each ink had its own dedicated filling pump
- Vibratory bowl feeder with the ability to sort both plastic screw caps and aluminium septums
- Posicap cap tightening machine with two heads – one suitable for screw caps and the second for crimping. Each capping head had its own gating system and could be changed over from one to the other at the flick of a switch
- The three container sizes were handled in pucks in order to minimise downtime on changeover from one bottle to another.
Linx and Universal have worked successfully in the past on other solvent filling and crimping machines so it was a simple choice when choosing a supplier for the new equipment. Both companies worked closely together on the project to ensure that the specification was right from the offset. There are so few companies left who are able to manufacture such bespoke equipment and Universal’s ability to adapt their machines to meet individual customer needs is a real benefit for customers like Linx.